Gallery: Please visit the gallery to view the images in this article in full size. From the gallery, you will be able to add the images to the shopping cart and checkout. I appreciate your support and thank you for visiting my site.
Videography plays an incredibly important role in marketing, real estate, entertainment and informational pieces, with the average person online spending almost 3 times longer on a page with a video than one without!
When a company or website includes video in their promotional or explanatory materials they can massively increase their audience engagement, and so, if one can say that a picture tells a thousand words then a video tells a thousand stories!
Video has become a central part of the media experience of people in the modern world and consequently the opportunities for talented videographers has never been greater.
NordVPN: Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows you to connect to another network securely. I use NordVPN when I blog from a cafe using their WiFi, watch a YouTube video from a hotel room or watch my favorite show on Netflix when I am traveling overseas. Privacy and secure browsing when you are on the go is very important. Protect all your devices with NordVPN. Read my full review of NordVPN.
Definition of Videography.
Videography is the creative process that uses moving images, usually in an electronic media format, to portray a desired subject. This includes recording to videotape, memory card or even live streaming directly. Videography not only includes the art of filming but it also incorporates the post production techniques and work.
A videographer is someone who specializes in recording live events and creating videos for specific projects. A videographer plans, arranges, films and conducts final editing work on the videos they produce and work in a wide range of fields that include everything from weddings to online branding adverts.
Videography can come in many forms including live action videos, animations, stop motion films, typography based videos and even live streaming online! The right type of video format will depend on the specific project however in general, most videographers work using traditional film footage of a particular subject to achieve a stated aim for their client.
What Does a Videographer Do?
Videographers work in a wide range of capacities. Most videographers will work as freelancing professionals although many find work as employees in media and marketing companies.
There are an almost infinite number of things that a videographer can do however the primary commercial types of videography work include:
- Camera Operator: In the very strictest sense of the word anybody who uses a video camera in any professional capacity can be defined as a videographer. Anyone who works in a studio or shoots professional film footage is described as a videographer. Their duties will usually be focused primarily on the tasks related directly to filming however in smaller companies they may also manage and be responsible for the set lighting and even in some cases the sound editing.
- Documentary Videographer: A videographer who works to create film footage about documentary content. This can include every type of documentary footage including narrative documentary film work, branded content for corporate promotional purposes or even TV work.
- Corporate Videographer: This is a fast growing sector of the videography industry and involves producing non-advertisement film content for corporate clients. This mainly involves filming educational and training videos for companies including health and safety videos, induction and training videos and creating engaging updates for shareholders of the company.
- Freelance Videographer. The freelance videographer works on their own for their clients. They own all of their own equipment and handle every aspect of the production of the footage. They work in a huge variety of contexts including weddings, company adverts, artistic short films and music videos.
- Real Estate Videographer: The real estate industry has been using more video footage in their promotional material and as a working videographer you can get well paid regular work with a realtor. A real estate videographer films the inside and outside of a property when it’s going on the market, creates virtual tours of the property and may meet with individual clients to arrange the details of the shoot.
- Travel Videographer: If you love to travel and have a great eye for a story then working as a travel videographer might be just the job for you! Travel videographers create professional promotional and marketing content for travel agencies and hotels, resorts and tourist hot spots. They also create cultural and documentary pieces, educational footage and guides for the tourist industry’s marketing materials.
Video Editing is an Important Part of a Videographer’s Skillset.
As well as working behind the camera many videographers also have strong video editing skills and they will often include this in their services. When a videographer submits a video to a client they will need to make sure that it is well edited and all the transitions are smooth and seamless.
What are the Qualities and Characteristics that a Videographer Needs to Succeed?
There are a wide range of skills that you can learn to become a top quality videographer which are largely technical in nature and require practise to perfect.
There are, however, other personality traits and characteristics that help videographers reach the peak of their game which are more innate but often come naturally to creative people.
- A fantastic eye for a great shot which includes panning, fades and the right angle for the footage to have maximum impact on the audience.
- The ability to create strong and clear narratives, often within a very short video.
- You will need a good level of manual dexterity and a reasonable level of physical stamina. Shoots can be long and quite hard work so you will need to be able to cope with long hours on your feet.
- Working to strict deadlines is a fundamental part of succeeding as a videographer. With deadlines comes a great deal of pressure and stress so you need to be able to let it wash over you like water off a duck’s back!
- Creativity and vision are essentials for videography.
- Time management and workflow efficiency are a vital skill that you need to master to make it in the competitive world of videography.
- The ability to previsualize the scene before you shoot will make the difference between a mediocre and an outstanding finished product.
What’s Included in the Day to Day Job Description of a Videographer?
Videography is an exciting field to work in and so breaking down the day to day activities of the role is difficult, however, for a standard job the rough schedule would include the following.
- A new project begins by consulting with your client to gain an understanding of the brief and what they expect from you. Try to get an understanding of your client’s creative vision and work through some previsualization to imagine possible outcomes with them.
- Check out and scout potential locations for the shoot. Take some photos of the site to run by the client with. If you’re shooting a wedding or other event then there should be no need to liaise with the client once you have had a look around.
- Make sure your equipment is ready and working, batteries are charged and you have arranged transport to the site on the allotted day of filming.
- Prepare any props or pieces of the set that require attention on the day of filming.
- On the day of filming shoot some great footage! You’ll need to keep sound, lighting and the lenses you are using at the forefront of your mind to get the best results.
- Following the shoot you’ll need to do some editing and post production work. Ensure that you have consulted with your client to establish a reasonable deadline that you are both happy with.
- Deliver the footage to your client in whatever format you have agreed.
Hosting is one of the foundations of a website. This website is hosted by InMotion Hosting, an US based employee-owned company. InMotion Hosting has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau in the US and Canada. InMotion Hosting is also a top rated CNET web hosting company for 14 years. Check out my review of InMotion Hosting.
Videography is an Exciting and Fast Growing Market to Get Into.
As a videographer you can enjoy a varied and fast paced lifestyle where you’ll have to think on your feet and deliver high quality footage every time! You’ll want to have a great eye for a good angle, be comfortable working with a wide range of camera equipment and have mastered the basics of video editing using the latest post production software. With consistent attention to detail and an excellent work ethic, a little bit of practise, dedication to your work and an openness to learning new things, you’ll soon succeed in the lucrative world of videography.
Do you like photography or videography more?
NOTE: Shoot Philadelphia is supported by readers. Some of the links above are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. It helps me to continue to offer free content on this site. Visit Affiliate Disclosure page for additional information.
Subscribe below and receive notifications of new posts by email (Your privacy is important to me and I will not market your email ID).