Gallery: Please visit the gallery to view the images in this article in full size. From the gallery, you will be able to add the images to the shopping cart and checkout. I appreciate your support and thank you for visiting my site.
Photographers have a wide range of high value skills and as a result can deliver services to clients and students in a remote way. A remote worker is someone who works from a different location to the client they are working for, usually online.
It may sound a bit contradictory to say that a photographer can work remotely because of course a photographer has to be somewhere in person to take a picture of the subject! However, there are many remote services that a photographer can supply to their clients without ever meeting in person! Many freelancers work in a remote capacity and photographers are no exception to this.
NordVPN: Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows you to connect to another network securely. I use NordVPN when I blog from a cafe using their WiFi, watch a YouTube video from a hotel room or watch my favorite show on Netflix when I am traveling overseas. Privacy and secure browsing when you are on the go is very important. Protect all your devices with NordVPN. Read my full review of NordVPN.
What are the benefits of working remotely?
There’s a whole range of benefits to working remotely and as a photographer you can make a fantastic living in this way. Working remotely, or as a digital nomad, you have much more control over the hours that you work and the type of jobs you take on than if you worked for a company as an employee.
- Your business costs and expenses are considerably lower when you work remotely which means you can price your work more competitively.
- When you work under your own steam you can boost your productivity.
- You can work from home and even while you are travelling. Many digital nomads work while travelling around the world! This sense of freedom is one of the top benefits of working remotely and as long as you can ensure that you have a secure internet connection you can always be available for work.
- Working remotely will lower your carbon footprint and is an environmentally sustainable approach to the modern world of work.
- With the incredible technical developments in recent years there is a huge range of services that a photographer can offer clients all over the world.
- Working remotely allows you to diversify your business and create passive streams of income.
Working Remotely as a Photographer – What Services Can You Offer Your Clients?
If photography is your passion and you’ve been working as a freelancer you may have overlooked the incredible skill set that you have developed during your career. Many of these skills and abilities are highly transferable and can pay very well. Working remotely, or telecommuting, allows you to work for clients all over the world and can open up large new income streams for your business.
As a freelance photographer you can market your skills and knowledge base to clients all over the world. There are many types of assignments that you can do without actually needing to meet with your clients. This saves them money by not having to provide a workplace for you to operate from but it also allows you to work with a wider variety of potential clients.
Whenever a website, company or business needs to use photography as a part of their marketing strategy there is an opportunity for photographers to work with them. In many cases, particularly with the technological advancements in communications, you can work for these clients in a remote context.
Every business from construction to fashion, from online E-commerce companies to flower deliver firms, from pet shops to financial service providers all need photography to help them present their ethos and values to their customers. As a photographer you are in high demand and as long as you have an entrepreneurial ‘get up and go’ attitude you can succeed as a telecommuting photographer.
- Remote Interior Design Photographer: If you have a strong sense of style and a good knowledge of the trends and types of interior design then you can work in conjunction with magazines, blogs and other websites that focus on interior design to provide them with photographs to accompany their articles and informational pieces. You’ll need access to places where you can find the types of interior design that you need to photograph for your clients but with an entrepreneurial spirit you can overcome this hurdle and secure a great income.
- Remote Gardening and Outdoors Photographer: With a passion for the outdoors and some good knowledge and experience of gardening techniques you can work as a remote photographer for gardening websites and blogs. This type of work is ideal for someone with good photographic skills and a garden where they grow their own food or flowers and can take pictures to demonstrate the various methods that they use. These photographs can be sold to interested clients for their gardening business websites.
- Remote Fashion Photographer: If you have a keen eye for a great look then remote fashion photography might be something you should consider to expand your telecommuting business. There are many ways that you can work in this industry which can include working with websites, magazines and blogs. Fashion photography is a fast moving and exciting field to work in and with the right skill set you can succeed in the industry while working remotely.
- Remote Product Photographer: Product photography is a type of marketing image making that helps companies and businesses to present their products in the most aesthetically appealing way. This helps to drive their sales and so if you can master this kind of photography you can earn a great living working remotely using your photography skills. The market for potential clients is huge and ranges from massive multinational companies to small independent online stores.
- Remote Travel Photographer: Travel photography is a fun way to earn money while you see the world. If you’re a real travel bug then taking photographs of your adventures is a great way to earn money as you explore the countries and cultures of our diverse planet. You can offer your services to travel agencies, local tourism boards, magazines and travel websites. Travel photography is an amazing way to earn a living and if you want to fund your adventures while you’re on the road then it’s something worth considering. You can submit your photography online in a digital format.
Working Remotely as a Photographer – Further Diversifying Your Services.
- Photo Editing and Post Production Work: As a trained photographer or a keen hobbyist you can market your photo editing skills and work from home or anywhere in fact, with a good internet connection. As a photo editor you can work in partnership with other professional photographers who may want to focus on their photos and not the editing side of their work. You can also provide editing services for amateur photographers who may not know how to use post production software to its fullest.
- Teach Photography and Related Skills Online: There are many ways that you can teach students about the various aspects of photography. You can teach students how to use photo editing tools and software, train them in the technical details of photography and even run workshops remotely. You can develop your own photography courses which can be hosted by online teaching platforms which will provide you with an ongoing passive form of income as you get paid per student who takes your course. Alternatively you can work directly with students in a one on one basis or in groups. This is a very versatile type of remote work that allows a great deal of flexibility in the hours that you work and the types of course that you teach.
- Write About Photography as a Freelancer: If you’re a photographer with a passion for writing and communicating interesting and educational ideas about photography then you can write articles, informational pieces, ‘how-to’ articles and product pieces about every aspect of photography. Working as a writer is a good form of remote work and you only need an internet connection, a good knowledge base in the field of photography and accurate research skills to succeed.
- Stock Photography: While this may not be the most profitable type of remote work it’s an easy way to make a passive income on the side. As a stock photographer you take photographs of things people need and then post them on to stock photo websites. When people want a certain picture they can download it for a fee, of which you get a percentage. You’ll want to specialize in a few niches and you’ll need to upload a large number of professional quality photos to earn a decent passive income however the advantage is that you’ll have an extra income coming into your account for years to come.
When You Provide Remote Photography Services You Can Boost Your Earnings and Work From Home.
Working remotely as a photographer used to be next to impossible but in today’s digital world there are many opportunities that you can take advantage of. You can choose to work entirely remotely or you can add some telecommuting projects to your regular work routine.
As a photographer working remotely you can create long term passive incomes by creating courses or with stock photography or you can create active streams of income by working for independent companies and businesses in a full or part time capacity. Delivering services remotely gives you a huge amount of freedom and is rapidly becoming a popular way to structure a career in the modern world of work.
NOTE: Shoot Philadelphia is supported by readers. Some of the links above are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. It helps me to continue to offer free content on this site. Visit Affiliate Disclosure page for additional information.
Subscribe below and receive notifications of new posts by email (Your privacy is important to me and I will not market your email ID).