Gallery: Please visit the gallery to view the images in this article in full size. From the gallery, you will be able to add the images to the shopping cart and checkout. I appreciate your support and thank you for visiting my site.
Why you should Definitely have a website to promote your Photography?
Once you’ve started to take some great photographs you will have a natural desire to share them with other people. Creating a good web presence is one of the most important ways that you can do so, not only bringing new audiences to your work, but also giving you the opportunity to sell prints, photography books of your work and even to help land you exhibitions.
Planning and Creating a Perfect Photography Website.
- At the very outset you are going to need to decide what kind of photography website you want to build. Are you going to do landscape photography, sunsets, city scenes, portraits or a whole mix of genres? There is no right answer, but knowing this from the beginning will help you to choose the right themes, design and gallery formats to best display your work.
Checks Unlimited: Order checks online from Checks Unlimited. Custom design or select from their catalog (including MLB, NASCAR and Harley Davidson). Discounts for first time customers (Code: BNTR). Accessories 30% off with Discount Code FXWK.
- Are you building a website for Hobby Photography or are you going to be selling your work? Using a website you can really make a nice income selling your photography, whether that’s in the form of calendars, books, prints or by arrangement with galleries and individuals. E Commerce is a powerful way to boost your income and find new clients.
- Link your website to your social media profiles, and if you don’t have one, you should certainly consider creating one that reflects your work and your ambitions. Using social media is a fantastic way to reach new audiences all over the world as well as meet like minded photographers that you can learn from.
It can seem like a daunting task at first to set up a great website, but with online platforms such as WordPress, that job is made a whole lot easier! You don’t need to learn coding and with dozens of great free themes and plugins to choose from you’ll be able to build a site that both suits your work, is compatible with all devices and also looks great.
Don’t worry either if you’re completely new to building a website, WordPress has excellent free tutorials. Once you have your basic website set up and ready to go, you can add a wide range of free plugins to manage your photo galleries and other content. They are easy to use, and again require no knowledge of coding!
Top 3 WordPress Plugins for Photographers.
Envira Gallery: This easy to use plugin has fantastic interfaces, is compatible with all devices and will resize your images to fit different size screens. The plugin allows you to build some lovely galleries and it’s easy to import your images from other sources to upload directly to your website’s galleries.
Hosting is one of the foundations of a website. This website is hosted by InMotion Hosting, an US based employee-owned company. InMotion Hosting has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau in the US and Canada. InMotion Hosting is also a top rated CNET web hosting company for 14 years. Check out my review of InMotion Hosting.
Soliloquy: This is one of the best made plugins for photographers that are using WordPress, with a great selection of sliding galleries, animations and premade themes. You can also easily import your photography from other locations such as Tumblr or Instagram to add to your online portfolio.
Easy Watermark: This is a great plugin that you can use to watermark your photography so that it cannot be used without your permission. This is especially important if you are engaged in e commerce and are selling your photography.
There’s also a lot of other great, easy to use plugins that WordPress offers for free; but these three are a fantastic starting point when you’re building your website.
New Photography Website Inspirations – A Quick List of Niches to get your Imagination Flowing.
- Landscapes and the Natural world.
NordVPN: Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows you to connect to another network securely. I use NordVPN when I blog from a cafe using their WiFi, watch a YouTube video from a hotel room or watch my favorite show on Netflix when I am traveling overseas. Privacy and secure browsing when you are on the go is very important. Protect all your devices with NordVPN. Read my full review of NordVPN.
- Cityscapes and skylines, parks and harbors.
- Close up photography. Give your audience a new perspective on the world around them.
- Portraiture. This can be wedding photography, individual portraits or parlor photography.
- Water – oceans, rivers and fountains.
- Cultures – explore the bright colors, scenes and people of different cultures through photography.
- Animals and Pets. You can choose to focus on dogs, cats or birds! Exotic animals or the animals that we live with in our daily lives.
- City center nightlife, people and places.
- Street performers and other people who work on the streets, such as street vendors.
- Political movements, protests, actions and events.
- Abstract photography.
- Travel photography.
- Architecture and Buildings.
- Fashion photography.
- Black and White or Sepia Photography.
- Lifestyle photography.
Of course you don’t need to specialize down to a particular niche, although it can help if you’re setting out to make an income from your photography. The most important thing is that you express yourself and create unique content!
WordPress – The First Choice for Photography Websites.
When you are setting up your website, spend the time to choose a theme that really compliments your photography. WordPress is a fantastic platform, which offers free packages as well as upgraded packages, to start your journey. WordPress offers great, easy to follow tutorials and free plugins to add functionality to your website. It’s easy to upload your photos and once you have you can easily promote them using social media, google search algorithms and smart Search Engine Optimization (SEO) of your site.
DeleteMe: Our personally identifiable information is all over the internet. “People search” and data broker websites are the key reasons. What can we do about it? DeleteMe can remove your name, current and former addresses, email ID, age and phone numbers from almost 40 people search and data broker websites. Your online footprint will be reduced significantly. DeleteMe has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and has plans to fit the whole family.
Setting up a website is your gateway to sharing your photography with the wider world.
Getting your photography online allows you to make new connections with fellow photographers as well as expanding your audience all over the world. There are many ways that you can monetize your website if you want to build up an independent income, but many people just do it for fun and as a way to share their passion for photography and art with others.
There’s something for everybody, but whoever you are, as a photographer you will benefit massively from setting up a solid online presence.
Do you have a website to showcase your photography?
NOTE: Shoot Philadelphia is supported by readers. Some of the links above are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. It helps me to continue to offer free content on this site. Visit Affiliate Disclosure page for additional information.
Subscribe below and receive notifications of new posts by email (Your privacy is important to me and I will not market your email ID).